Travel Grant Full-time undergraduate, tuition fee and living cost students

2. Who can get this grant?

You don't need to work out if you're eligible - we'll do it for you

This page is intended for your information only. Make your application for student finance, we'll determine your eligibility and let you know.

The following can contribute to your eligibility for a Travel Grant for full-time undergraduate tuition fee and living cost students.

If you’re studying abroad

You must attend an overseas institution for at least half of each academic term. This period of study can be compulsory or optional.

You can also get a travel grant if you’re on an Erasmus+ study, Erasmus+ work placement, Turing scheme or Taith. Other work placements won't be eligible.

You cannot apply for more than one of these grants to cover the same expenses.

If you’re doing a clinical placement in the UK or ROI

The placement must be an essential part of your medical or dental course. You won’t get a travel grant if you’re eligible for means-tested bursaries or awards from the Department of Health.

You would also need to be able to meet the following requirements for full-time undergraduate finance

Place of study

This can be private or public, however it must be a UK or Republic of Ireland based university or college and you need to study at least 50% of your course in the UK. Both your course and place of study must be eligible for funding from us.

Your university or college will be able to confirm their eligibility for funding from us.

Household income

As part of your student finance application you'll be asked to provide this information. Depending on your circumstances your parents or partner may also need to provide their income information.

Nationality and residency

You could get this funding if you’re able to identify as one of the following:

A UK or Irish Citizen or someone with settled status in the UK

You must:

  • normally live in Northern Ireland
  • have been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years before the first day of your first academic year

An EU National

You must:

  • have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement scheme
  • normally live in Northern Ireland
  • have been living in UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, for the three years before the first day of your first academic year

EU Nationals with less than-three years residency in UK & Islands may be eligible for tuition fee only funding

A UK National or family member of a UK National who has been living in the EEA or Switzerland

You must:

  • have normally lived in the EEA or Switzerland on or before 31 December 2020
  • have lived in the UK, Gibraltar, the EEA or Switzerland for the three years before the first day of your first academic year
  • be studying in Northern Ireland

An eligible exception residency type

Our eligible exception residency types can include refugees, those under humanitarian protection or their immediate family members.

Resident in another area of the UK but living in Northern Ireland while you study

You will not be considered as ‘ordinarily resident’ in Northern Ireland and will not be eligible for support from Student Finance NI. You should contact your home funding provider for further information on what support is available.


There is no upper or lower age limit for a Travel Grant.


To qualify for this allowance your course must result in one of the following qualifications:

  • a first degree, for example, a BA, BSc or BEd
  • a Foundation Degree
  • a Certificate of Higher Education
  • a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • a Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • a Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
  • Initial Teacher Education (ITE)

Your university or college will be able to confirm the course's qualification.

Previous study

You’ll usually get student finance for your first higher education degree (honours) but exceptions can apply.

You could get limited funding if, for example:

  • you change course
  • you leave your course but decide to start again
  • you’re ‘topping up’ a higher education qualification, for example you’ve finished an HNC, HND or Foundation Degree and now want to do an Honours degree
  • you hold an Honours degree or higher level of qualification and start a part-time Honours degree in engineering, technology or computer science (or a joint Honours in 2 of these subjects)
  • you already have a degree and you’re starting a healthcare course (except for dental hygiene or dental therapy) on or after 1 August 2017

If you've previously studied a course at this qualification level you may not get funding, even if your previous course was self-funded.

Secondary navigation

Previous 1. What is it? Next3. How much can I get?