Full-time Undergraduate Students
What type of student are you?
Where you're from and where you live also helps determine what kinds of funding you can get. Read both the options and decide which one applies to you.
Northern Ireland Student
Northern Ireland students or 'NI students' are not just students from Northern Ireland. Your nationality is important but is not the only consideration. You're an NI student if you're any of the following:
- a UK or Irish Citizen and been living in UK & Islands for 3 years before the first day of the first year of your course
- have been granted settled status and been living in UK & Islands for 3 years before the first day of the first year of your course
- have been granted settled status under the EU settlement scheme (or pre-settled status if you are an EU national) and been living in UK & Islands for 3 years before the first day of the first year of your course
You will also need to live in Northern Ireland on or before the first day of the first academic year of your course.
You can also have an eligible exception residency type such as a refugee, stateless person or humanitarian protectionSee what finance is available
European Union Student (Including ROI)
EU students are EU Nationals from the European Union or a family member of an EU National and all the following apply:
- you are not able to identify as a Northern Ireland student
- you have been granted settled or pre-settled status under the EU settlement scheme
- you have lived in the UK, Gibraltar, the EEA (including the Republic of Ireland) or Switzerland for at least 3 years before the first day of the first year of your course
- you will be studying in Northern Ireland
If you are a Family member of a UK national or person of Northern Ireland you may be able to apply for funding under a European Student.
If you're not able to identify as either a Northern Ireland student or European Union student, you may not be eligible for funding from Student Finance NI. Your university or college may be able to tell you about possible alternative sources of funding.See what finance is available
Download a Form
If you're looking for a specific form, choose your academic year: