What are eligible residency exception statuses?
These are specific personal circumstances - If you're able to identify are one of our eligible residency exception statuses you might be eligible for funding as a Northern Ireland student even if you're from outside the United Kingdom (UK), European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA).
This could mean you're able to get funding to help with:
- tuition fees
- living costs
- disability or long term health condition related study costs
Eligible residency exception statuses
You could get funding as a Northern Ireland student if you're:
- a refugee, or a relative of one
- under humanitarian protection as a result of a failed application for asylum and living in Northern Ireland, or the relative of one
- granted 'Discretionary Leave to remain in the UK' or a relative of someone granted 'Discretionary Leave to remain in the UK' where no application for asylum has been made
- granted 'leave to enter or remain' in the UK or a relative of someone granted leave to enter or remain as a result of a failed asylum application
- granted 'leave to enter or remain' in the UK and can demonstrate a long connection to living in the UK
- granted 'leave to enter or remain' in the UK under section 67 of the Immigration Act 2016 or you are the dependent child of someone with this status
- an EEA or Swiss migrant worker, or a relative of one
- the child of a Swiss national
- the child of a Turkish worker
- member of the UK Armed Forces, or a relative of someone in the UK Armed Forces, and studying on a UK or Northern Ireland based distance learning course when posted outside Northern Ireland or the UK
- a stateless person, or the relative of one, who has lived in the UK for at least 3 years before the first day of the first year of their course
- granted ‘Indefinite leave to remain’ in the UK as a victim of domestic violence or abuse
- granted ‘Calais leave’ or you are the dependent child of someone with this status
- granted ‘Indefinite leave to remain’ in the UK as a person who has been a bereaved partner
You'll need to prove your status before your application will be accepted but we'll tell you what evidence to send as part of your application.
If you think you're eligible, you can find out more about the types of finance available.