Tuition Fee Grant Part-time undergraduate, tuition fee and living cost students

2. Who can get this grant?

You don't need to work out if you're eligible - we'll do it for you

This page is intended for your information only. Make your application for student finance, we'll determine your eligibility and let you know.

The following can contribute to your eligibility for a Tuition Fee Grant for part-time undergraduate Northern Ireland students.

Nationality and residency

You could get this funding if you’re able to identify as one of the following:

A UK national or Irish citizen or someone with settled status in the UK

  • normally live in Northern Ireland
  • have been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years before the first day of your first academic year

An EU national

You must:

  • have, or be the family member of someone with settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • have been living in Northern Ireland for the three years before the first day of your first academic year

EU nationals with less than three years residency in UK & Islands may be eligible for tuition fee only funding.

A UK national or family members of a UK national who has been living in the EEA or Switzerland

You must:

  • have normally lived in the EEA or Switzerland on or before 31 December 2020
  • have lived in the UK, Gibraltar, the EEA or Switzerland for the three years before the first day of your first academic year
  • be studying in Northern Ireland

An eligible exception residency type

Our eligible exception residency types can include refugees, those under humanitarian protection or their immediate family members.

Resident in another area of the UK but living in Northern Ireland while you study

You may not be classed as ‘ordinarily resident’ in Northern Ireland which means you may need to apply for funding from your home funding provider. You should contact your home funding provider for further information.


There is no upper or lower age limit for a Tuition Fee Grant.


To qualify for this grant your course must result in one of the following qualifications:

  • a first degree, for example, a BA, BSc or BEd
  • a Foundation Degree
  • a Certificate of Higher Education
  • a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • a Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • a Higher National Diploma (HND)

Your university or college will be able to confirm the course's qualification.

Course intensity

To qualify for this grant you must have a course intensity of at least 50% during the academic year.

Place of study

This can be private or public, however it must be a UK based university or college. Both your course and place of study must be eligible for funding from us.

Your university or college will be able to confirm their eligibility for funding from us.

Previous study

You won’t normally be eligible for funding if you already hold an honours degree or if you’re applying for a course that is equivalent or lower in level than your first higher education course.

This is the case whether or not you have an equivalent qualification from a United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland or overseas institution or your previous qualification was publicly funded or self-funded.

Secondary navigation

Previous 1. What is it? Next3. How much can I get?