Tuition Fee Loan Part-time undergraduate, European Union students

2. Who can get this loan

You don't need to work out if you're eligible - we'll do it for you

This page is intended for your information only. Make your application for student finance, we'll determine your eligibility and let you know.

The following can contribute to your eligibility for a Tuition Fee Loan for part-time undergraduate European Union students.

Nationality or residency

You may be eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan as an EU student if all of the following apply to you:

  • you're a EU national, or the family member of an EU national
  • you've been ordinarily resident in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland for the three years before the start of your course
  • you'll live in Northern Ireland on or before the first day of the first year of your course, unless COVID-19 travel restrictions prevent you from doing so

By ordinarily resident we mean you normally live in the EEA, apart from temporary or occasional absences.

If you have lived in the UK or Republic of Ireland for 3 years or more

Some students from the EU may be able to apply for apply for part-time undergraduate student finance as a Northern Ireland (NI) student, this could mean you'll be able to get additional funding to help with your courses costs, or costs related to a disability or long-term health condition.

You may be able to apply for part-time undergraduate student finance as a NI student if you're an EU national, or the family member of one, who has lived in the Northern Ireland for at least 3 years before the first day of the first year of your course.

Find out more about part-time undergraduate student finance available available to NI students.


There is no upper or lower age limit for a Tuition Fee Loan.


The course you plan to study must be in Northern Ireland and one of the following:

  • a first degree, for example, a BA, BSc or BEd
  • a Foundation Degree
  • a Certificate of Higher Education
  • a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • a Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • a Higher National Diploma (HND)

Your university or college will be able to confirm the course's qualification.

The funding rules are different if you want to study in Scotland, Wales or England.

Course intensity

To qualify for this loan you must have a course intensity of at least 25% during the academic year.

Place of study

EU students can study at authority or publicly funded institutions in Northern Ireland.

Previous study

You won’t normally be able to get student finance if you already hold a qualification equal to or higher than the one you are studying for. You can usually only get student finance for your first higher education course. If you have already studied a higher-education course, you might not get help for a second course.

If you've previously studied a course at this qualification level you may not get funding, even if your previous course was self-funded.

Secondary navigation

Previous 1. What is it? Next3. How much can I get?