2. Staying eligible for student finance during your studies
As part of your application for student finance you will need to sign your student finance declaration
This declaration details the rules that you must follow to remain eligible for your student finance and the penalties that can be imposed if you break the terms of your student finance agreement.
Who decides if you’re no longer eligible for support?
In line with the Student Support Regulations, the Department for the Economy may decide that a student, who would otherwise be eligible for support, is no longer considered eligible due to their behavior or conduct. This is sometimes referred to as being ‘unfitted for support’
What can make you no longer eligible for your student finance?
This can be decided on a case by case basis but examples can include:
- unacceptable conduct
- a failure to progress and multiple withdrawals from your course over a number of terms
- providing inaccurate or incomplete information on your application
- attempting to commit, or committing fraud against Student Finance Northern Ireland
- if you've been asked to repay any money back to the Student Loans Company and do not make payment
- not honouring the student finance declaration you signed when you applied for the loan
Appealing a decision
If the decision has been made to remove your eligibility for student finance, you can appeal this decision. If you plan to make an appeal this should be done as soon as possible after you have received notification from Student Finance Northern Ireland.
You will need to provide all of the following:
- further information on why Student Finance Northern Ireland’s assessment is incorrect
- an explanation of why you believe student finance funding should be given or reinstated
- documentary evidence to support your appeal
Where to send your appeal
Send your appeal, with supporting evidence to:Head of Student Support
Department for the Economy Northern Ireland
39-49 Adelaide Street
What will happen next
A member of staff from the Department for the Economy will respond within 10 working days. If this is not possible, you will be contacted and told when to expect a response.
You can also read the original documentation from the Department of the Economy.