Parents and Partners:

Submitting your household income information in support of an application

Why we ask for your household income information

Some types of student finance can be based on your household income information.

Eligible students are able to receive a basic rate of student finance without providing any household income information. However, if you choose to provide this information you could borrow more and, in some instances, receive additional grants.

What you’ll need

You'll need to know:

  • your household’s financial income
  • details of your personal financial income

The household income is the combined income of:

  • you
  • your partner - if you live with them now (even if you weren't living with them during the previous tax year)
  • your child (if you're supporting your child's application)

We'll ask for household income information from 2 tax years ago.

If the student is applying for the 2021 to 2022 academic year, we'll ask for income information from the 2019 - 2020 tax year (In the UK this is 6 April 2019 - 5 April 2020).

You'll be told which tax year information to provide when you're submitting the information.

When we’ll ask for income information

As part of the student’s application for finance we’ll ask if they would like to have their funding based on their household income. If they do, the online application or downloadable form will tell the student who needs to provide this information and how to do it.

If the student applies online... If the student applies using a downloadable form...

We’ll ask the student to provide an email address for each person who is required to provide income information.

We'll then email instructions to submit your information.

We normally send the email within 24 hours of the student submitting their application.

If you don't have an email address or the student didn't provide one, we'll write to you and send you a form to complete and return to us.

There’s a section of the application form for parents or partners to provide their income information.

The form will tell you what you need to do. If this is left blank or incomplete we'll send you a form to complete and return to us.

Creating your own student finance account

If you’re able to submit your information online, you’ll create your own student finance account. This is linked to the student’s account but is yours - not the students.

You can use your account to check any outstanding actions, maintain your account information and apply for your own student finance.

Already have a student finance account?

If you’ve had student finance or provided financial information in support of an application in the past – you should already have an account and you should use this.

The student must provide the email address you have linked to your account.

If you need a downloadable form

If possible you should submit your information online or on the student's downloadable application form. If you can't - you can use one of the forms below to submit your household income information - remember to complete the form for the correct academic year.

If you need a different form

Visit our form finder.

Sending evidence

We might ask you to provide evidence to prove your household income information. This could include your P60 or similar documentation. We'll tell you exactly what to send and when you're providing your information.

What happens next?

Check you've told us everything - this can affect the student's eligibility and entitlement.

We'll only need to get back in touch with you if some information is missing or we need further evidence or clarification about your household income information.

Send us everything we ask for

The sooner you provide any evidence, the quicker we can let the student know about their funding.

Once we have everything we need

We'll assess the student's entitlement based on the provided information and send the student a Notification of Entitlement letter. This letter will explain what they can get and when they'll be paid.

If we haven't received your household income information close to the student's start date

We may continue with your application without this information. This would mean that you'll get a Notification of Entitlement letter showing less than you expected. It's just to make sure you have some funding in place for the start of your course.

We'll work out how much student finance you could get without taking your household income into account. This makes sure you have some money ready for the start of your course.

Check with your parents or partner - it may be that their information was received too close to your start date, or we haven't received it at all. If we have what we need, we'll reassess you as soon as we can, you'll get a new letter showing your full entitlement when we do. If we do not have the information, we'll reassess you as soon as it is provided.

  • Already submitted your financial information?

    You can sign into your student finance account to support an application, update your personal details and view any letters you've had from Student Finance NI.

    Sign in

Frequently Asked Questions