Course Grant Part-time undergraduate, Northern Ireland students

2. Who can get this grant?

You don't need to work out if you're eligible - we'll do it for you

This page is intended for your information only. Make your application for student finance, we'll determine your eligibility and let you know.

The following can contribute to your eligibility for a Course Grant for part-time undergraduate Northern Ireland students.

Household income

How much grant you can get is based on your total household income. As part of your student finance application you'll be asked to provide this information. Depending on your circumstances your parents or partner may also need to provide their income information.

The grant is only available to eligible students with a household income of £28,067 or less.

You would also need to be able to meet the following requirements for part-time undergraduate finance.

Nationality and residency

You could get this funding if you’re able to identify as one of the following:

A UK or ROI National or someone with settled status in the UK

You must:

  • normally live in Northern Ireland
  • have been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years before the first day of your first academic year

An EU National

You must:

  • normally live in Northern Ireland
  • have been living in Northern Ireland for the three years before the first day of your first academic year

EU Nationals (including ROI nationals) with less than 3 years residency in Northern Ireland may be eligible for EU student funding.

A UK National who has been living in the EU

You must:

  • have normally lived in Northern Ireland before you moved to the EU
  • have normally lived in the EU for the past three years
  • be living in Northern Ireland on the first day of the first year of your course, unless COVID-19 travel restrictions prevent you from doing so

An eligible exception residency type

Our eligible exception residency types can include refugees, those under humanitarian protection or their immediate family members.

Resident in another area of the UK but living in Northern Ireland while you study?

You will not be classed as ‘ordinarily resident’ in Northern Ireland and will not be eligible for support from Student Finance NI. You should contact your home funding provider for further information on what support is available.


There is no upper or lower age limit for a Course Grant.


To qualify for this grant your course must result in one of the following qualifications:

  • a first degree, for example, a BA, BSc or BEd
  • a Foundation Degree
  • a Certificate of Higher Education
  • a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • a Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • a Higher National Diploma (HND)

Your university or college will be able to confirm the course's qualification.

Course Intensity

To qualify for this grant you must have a course intensity of at least 50% during the academic year.

Place of study

This can be private or public, however it must be a UK based university or college. Both your course and place of study must be eligible for funding from us. Your university or college will be able to confirm their eligibility for funding from us.

Previous study

You won’t normally be eligible for funding if you already hold an honours degree or if you’re applying for a course that is equivalent or lower in level than your first higher education course.

This is the case whether or not you have an equivalent qualification from a United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland or overseas institution or your previous qualification was publicly funded or self-funded.

Secondary navigation

Previous 1. What is it? Next3. How much can I get?