Maintenance Loan Full-time undergraduate, Northern Ireland students
1. What is it?
It's a loan to help with day to day costs while you study.
It's sometimes called a loan for living costs and it’s paid directly to you.
This loan is available to new and continuing full-time students studying an eligible:
- undergraduate course
- Initial Teacher Training (ITT) course
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
You can apply for a Maintenance Loan on its own or alongside any other available finance, including a Tuition Fee Loan, as part of your student finance application each year.
The quickest way to apply is to sign into your student finance account.
Does it need to be paid back?
Yes - Maintenance Loans are repaid. Interest is charged on any amount borrowed from the date the first payment is made to you.
As part of your student finance agreement, you must keep us up to date with any changes to your course or personal details as these can affect your funding, including how much you have to repay and when.
Find out more
- Guide to Financial Support for Full-Time Students in Higher Education - 2023/24 PDF (641.0KB)
- Full-Time Higher Education Student Finance - Entitlement to Support and Payment Guide - 2023/24 PDF (712.2KB)
- Guide to Financial Support for Full-Time Students in Higher Education - 2022/23 PDF (600.0KB)
- Full-Time Higher Education Student Finance - Entitlement to Support and Payment Guide - 2022/23 PDF (320.3KB)