Disabled Students' Allowance Full Time Undergraduate, Northern Ireland Students

2. Who can get this allowance?

You don't need to work out if you're eligible - we'll do it for you

This page is intended for your information only. Make your application for student finance, we'll determine your eligibility and let you know.

You can find out more by speaking to the Disabled Students' Allowance officer at your local Education Authority (EA) office.

The following can contribute to your eligibility for a Disabled Students Allowance for full-time undergraduate Northern Ireland students.

Your disability, condition or learning difficulty

To qualify for Disabled Students' Allowance you must have a disability that meets the definition of disability under the Equality Act 2010 and that impacts your ability to study.

This can include a long-term health condition, mental-health condition, physical disability or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia .

You'll be asked to send proof such as a report or letter from your doctor or consultant or a diagnostic assessment from a psychologist or suitably qualified teacher.

Eligibility for disability related funding from another source

You're not eligible for Disabled Students' Allowance from Student Finance NI if you're:

  • eligible for a Department of Health, NHS or other health care bursary
  • receiving a bursary or award from a research council
  • receiving the NHS Business Services Authority’s bursary for students on postgraduate social work courses
  • receiving a bursary or award from your university or college which includes support that is equal to DSA.

If the Disabled Students' Allowance Office determines that you are eligible for funding from another source they will tell you what you need to do.

Nationality and residency

You could get this funding if you’re able to identify as one of the following:

A UK or Irish Citizen or someone with settled status in the UK

You must:

  • normally live in Northern Ireland
  • have been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years before the first day of your first academic year

An EU National

You must:

  • have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement scheme
  • normally live in Northern Ireland
  • have been living in UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, for the three years before the first day of your first academic year

EU Nationals with less than-three years residency in UK & Islands may be eligible for EU student funding.

A UK National or family members of UK National who has been living in the EEA or Switzerland

You must:

  • have normally lived in the EEA or Switzerland on or before 31 December 2020
  • have lived in the UK, Gibraltar, the EEA or Switzerland for the three years before the first day of your first academic year
  • be studying in Norther Ireland

An eligible exception residency type

Our eligible exception residency types can include refugees, those under humanitarian protection or their immediate family members.

Resident in another area of the UK but living in Northern Ireland while you study

You will not be classed as ‘ordinarily resident’ in Northern Ireland and will not be eligible for support from Student Finance NI. You should contact your home funding provider for further information on what support is available.


There is no upper or lower age limit for Disabled Students' Allowance.


To qualify for this allowance your course must result in one of the following qualifications:

  • a first degree, for example, a BA, BSc or BEd
  • a Foundation Degree
  • a Certificate of Higher Education
  • a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • a Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • a Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
  • Initial Teacher Education (ITE)

Your university or college will be able to confirm the course's qualification.

Place of study

Both your course and place of study must be eligible for funding from us. Your university or college can be:

  • a publicly funded institution based in the UK or Republic of Ireland
  • a privately funded institution based in the UK that runs individual courses which attract public (Student Finance NI) funding. These courses must have received ‘specific designation’ from the Department for the Economy

You need to study at least 50% of your course in the UK or Republic of Ireland. Your university or college will be able to confirm their eligibility for funding from us.

Previous study

Your previous study doesn't affect your eligibility for Disabled Students' Allowance.

Secondary navigation

Previous 1. What is it? Next3. How much can I get?