Tuition Fee Loan Full-time undergraduate, EU students

2. Who can get this loan?

You don't need to work out if you're eligible - we'll do it for you

This page is intended for your information only. Make your application for student finance, we'll determine your eligibility and let you know.

The following can contribute to your eligibility for a Tuition Fee Loan for full-time undergraduate European Union students.

Nationality and residency

You may be eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan as an EU student if all of the following apply to you:

  • you're a EU national, or the family member of an EU national
  • you have pre-settled status under the EU settlement scheme
  • you've been ordinarily resident in the UK, Gibraltar, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland for the three years before the start of your course

By ordinarily resident we mean you normally live in the EEA, apart from temporary or occasional absences.

If you are an EU National and have lived in the UK and Islands for 3 years or more and have settled or pre-settled status under the EU settlement scheme

Some students from the EU may be able to apply for full-time undergraduate student finance as a Northern Ireland (NI) student, this could mean you'll be able to get additional funding to help with your living costs, childcare or costs related to a disability or long-term health condition.

Find out more about undergraduate student finance available to NI students.


There is no upper or lower age limit for a Tuition Fee Loan.


To qualify for this loan your course must result in one of the following qualifications:

  • a first degree, for example, a BA, BSc or BEd
  • a Foundation Degree
  • a Certificate of Higher Education
  • a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • a Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • a Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
  • Initial Teacher Education (ITE)

Your university or college will be able to confirm the course's qualification.

Place of study

Your place of study can be private or public, however it must be a Northern Irish based university or college and you need to study at least 50% of your course in Northern Ireland. Both your course and place of study must be eligible for funding from us.

Your university or college will be able to confirm their eligibility for funding from us.

Previous study

You won’t normally be able to get student finance if you already hold a qualification equal to or higher than the one you are studying for. You can usually only get student finance for your first higher education course. If you have already studied a higher-education course, you might not get help for a second course.

If you've previously studied a course at this qualification level you may not get funding, even if your previous course was self-funded.

Secondary navigation

Previous 1. What is it? Next3. How much can I get?