This website has been designed and developed with the needs of people with disability in mind. This includes people with sight loss, hearing, mobility and cognitive impairments as well as for use on multiple devices.
SLC is committed to ensuring everyone can access our website. If you have any comments and or suggestions about our website please don't hesitate to contact us.
Web accessibility conformance statement
SLC is committed to ensuring that its websites are accessible to the widest possible audience. We aim to meet the highest accessibility standards which, in practice, means we aim for what is known as AA accessibility.
To achieve this, we work towards meeting recognised best practices for web accessibility. Our checkpoints are taken from the World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C) technical standard Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (WCAG) and the British standard BS 8878 framework. These guidelines are the internationally recognised benchmark for building accessible websites.
The site is tested regularly to ensure that we are working towards the standards. Where we don’t currently meet these standards, we try to prioritise those that will help our visitors the most.
This website has been developed to best practice coding conventions corresponding with guidelines stipulated by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) and is successfully HTML5 valid.
Image Alt text and accessibility
As standard we only use Alt text where an image conveys essential information for the meaning of the page. Where an image is purely decorative we don't use alt text as this is superfluous information, and extra 'noise' that someone using a screenreader will have to get through before reaching the essential information on a page. Any images which don't have alt text have an empty alt tag which is indicated using "".
Change text size
You may also use your browser settings to change the text size for all the websites that you visit. The technique for doing this is slightly different depending on the browser that you use:
- Google Chrome: Select one of the 'Text Zoom' options in the 'Customise and control Google Chrome' menu
- Internet Explorer 9: Select 'Settings', then one of the options under 'Zoom'
- Internet Explorer 8: Select the 'Page' menu, then one of the options under 'Zoom' or 'Text Size'
- Mozilla Firefox: Select the 'View' menu, then 'Zoom', then one of the options
- Opera: Select the 'View' menu, then one of the 'Zoom' percentage options
- Other browsers may also have similar options available. Please consult the documentation provided with your browser if similar options to the ones above aren't available.