Applications for 2018/19 are now open - it’s time for full-time undergraduate students to apply
Apply for a Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan now!
EU nationals and Student Finance in Northern Ireland.
Tuition Fee Loans for Part-time Undergraduate (and Distance Learning) Students 2017/18
Tuition Fee Loans for Postgraduate students 2017/18
Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loans in Northern Ireland

Part-time student finance in 2016/17

The information here is for part-time undergraduate students starting a new course in 2016/17.

Information on part-time undergraduate students 2017/18 is also available

What student finance is available?

As a part-time undergraduate student, who is studying at least 50% of an equivalent full-time course, you can apply for grants to help with the costs of your study.

The amount of Fee Grant and Course Grant available to you depends on your:

  • Course intensity
  • household income

Course Intensity

Course intensity is how long it takes to complete your part-time course compared to the equivalent full-time course. You should check the course intensity with your university or college each year.

The table below sets out the maximum Fee Grant and Course Grant you may get in academic year 2016/17 based on course intensity.

Intensity of Study Maximum Fee Grant Maximum Course Grant Maximum total support available
50% - 59% of the full time course £820 £265 £1085
60% to 74% of the full-time course £985 £265 £1250
75% or more £1230 £265 £1495

Household income

How much you get is also affected by your income and/or your partner’s income. As household income increases the Fee Grant will be reduced then the Course Grant.

Household income Fee Grant Course Grant
£16,842 or below Maximum based on course intensity £265
£16,843 - £25,420 Reducing as income increases £265
£25,421 - £26,029 £0 £265
£26,030 - £28,067 £0 Reducing as income increases
£28,068 or over £0 £0

The household income figures assume you are single with no children. When each of the following apply, these figures will increase by:

  • £2000, when a partner is counted;
  • £2000, where a child dependent is included; and
  • £1000, for each additional child dependent.

For example, if you have two dependent children then all of the household income thresholds would increase by £3000. Therefore the maximum Fee Grant and Course Grant would be payable if you earned on or under £19,842.

Fee Grant

The Fee Grant is paid directly to your university or college. You do not have to pay this back.

There are three different rates of Fee Grant depending on how intensive your course is.
For example, if you study at a rate equivalent to 75% of a full-time course, you could qualify for a higher Fee Grant than if you were studying at a rate equivalent to 50% of a full-time course.

Course Grant

Part time students can also apply for a Course Grant of up to £265 to cover the cost of books, travel and other course-related expenses. Your entitlement for this grant is also based on your household income.

You are not entitled to apply for this help if:

  • You already have a degree
  • You are on a part-time teacher-training course (although you may qualify for full-time support)

The Course Grant is paid directly to you and does not have to be paid back.

Support for part-time students with disabilities

If you are a part-time student with a disability, you may be eligible to apply for Disabled Students' Allowances

Type of allowance Maximum amount
Non-medical personal helper £15,703
Major items of specialist equipment £5,266
Other disability-related expenditure £1,319

The equipment allowance is for the duration of the course. The other two allowances are annual amounts.

How to apply

Students wishing to apply for support should complete the following form:

Birth Certificates or Adoption Certificates for evidence

We recommend that you send in your original Birth or Adoption Certificate for evidence.

You must also complete and return the form below

This form contains two separate declarations. The 'Applicant's Declaration of Identity' must be signed by the student to confirm their identity. The 'Identity Confirmation Form' is to verify your identity and must be completed by a person of good standing in the community who has known you for at least two years. Please read the ‘Acceptable countersignatures’ section for a complete list of eligible people.

Please note: this person must be currently in employment, and they must supply a phone number for their place of work.

Complete and return your form including any evidence to your Education Authority (EA)

You should apply within 9 months of the start of your academic year, otherwise you will lose your entitlement to student finance.

Useful forms and guides

If you receive state benefits and are unable to send the evidence requested in your application notes, you’ll need to complete this form to confirm which benefit(s) you receive and how much:

If you need to tell us about any change in your circumstances through the year, for example a change in your course or the university or college you’re attending, you’ll need to complete this form:

Back to top