EU nationals and Student Finance in Northern Ireland.
Apply for a Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan now!
Applications for 2017/18 are now open - it’s time for full-time undergraduate students to apply
Tuition Fee Loans for Part-time Undergraduate (and Distance Learning) Students 2017/18
Tuition Fee Loans for Postgraduate students 2017/18
Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loans in Northern Ireland

How and when to apply

You should apply now for academic year 2017/18 to make sure your Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan is paid on time for the start of your course.

How to apply

The quickest way to apply for a Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan is online by logging into your account.

You don’t need a confirmed place at university. If you change your course, you can update your course details later.

There are three simple steps to applying for your Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan online:

  1. Log into your student finance account and submit your application.
  2. Provide us with any necessary evidence. We can’t process your application until we have all the evidence we need.
  3. Print out the declaration form, sign it and return it to us as soon as possible.

To complete your application, you will need:

  • your university and course details, and
  • your National Insurance number.

You must submit an application for each academic year of your course. You must also submit your application within 9 months of the first day of each academic year of the course.

The first day of the academic year is as follows:

1st September, where the course begins on or after 1st August and before 1st January;

1st January, where the course begins on or after 1st January and before 1st April;

1st April, where the course begins on or after 1st April and before 1st July;

1st July, where the course begins on or after 1st July and before 1st August.


If you submit your application without all the information we need we’ll write to you to remind you to provide this as soon as possible. We won’t make any payments to your university until we have all the information and evidence we need.


We’ve produced a guide that explains all about the Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan.

A Guide to Financial Support for Postgraduate Students in Higher Education (PDF, 1.1MB)

This guide is for all postgraduate students who take out a Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan. It’s very important that you read this guide carefully before applying for student finance.

Student loans - a guide to terms and conditions for undergraduate and postgraduate students (PDF, 211kB)

Application forms

If you can’t apply online, you should send in a paper application.

Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan application form (PDF, 1.7MB)

Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan notes (PDF, 840kB)

Proof of identity

You can send us your UK or ROI passport as proof of identity.

If you don’t have a valid UK or ROI passport you can send your original birth or adoption certificate using the ‘Postgraduate Birth or adoption certificate form’.

Postgraduate Birth or adoption certificate form (PDF, 2.6MB)

If you’re an EU national, send your passport or national identity card.

Supporting information

You should use the ‘Postgraduate Document return form’ when providing extra information to support your application.

Postgraduate Document return form (PDF, 739kB)

You may also be asked to complete the ‘UK employment status form’.

UK employment status form (PDF, 3.5MB)

Change an application

Use your online account to change your personal details, for example your contact details.

Change the amount you’ve asked for

Use the ‘Postgraduate Loan request form’ to change the amount you’ve applied for - you can’t do this online.

Postgraduate Loan request form (PDF, 831kB)

Other changes

Use the ‘Postgraduate Change of circumstances form’ if you need to change any other details, for example your university or course. You can’t do this online.

Postgraduate Change of circumstances form (PDF, 791kB)

Taking a break or withdrawing from your course

Tell your university as soon as possible if you decide to withdraw from your course. It may affect your future payments and eligibility for funding. We’ve produced a guide with more information about this.

Taking a break from your studies or withdrawing from your course (PDF, 207kB)

Disabled Students’ Allowances

If you’re applying for the Disabled Students’ Allowances you should complete the ‘DSA1 application form’.

Full DSA1 application form (PDF, 374kB)

These guidance notes provide extra information you need to help you complete the ‘DSA1 application form’.

DSA1 guidance notes (PDF, 143kB)

If you want to claim for expenses you’ve already paid out, fill in a 'Claim form for reimbursement of costs through Disabled Students' Allowances'.

DSA Claim form (PDF, 423kB)

For more information on DSAs download the Disabled Students’ Allowances guide:

Bridging The Gap: A guide to the Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) in higher education (PDF, 2.5MB)

Return address

Send your application forms and/or evidence to:

Student Finance NI
Postgraduate Office
Ballee Centre
Ballee Road West
BT42 2HS