Applications for 2018/19 are now open - it’s time for full-time undergraduate students to apply
Apply for a Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan now!
EU nationals and Student Finance in Northern Ireland.
Tuition Fee Loans for Part-time Undergraduate (and Distance Learning) Students 2017/18
Tuition Fee Loans for Postgraduate students 2017/18
Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loans in Northern Ireland

Financial support available

The Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan will be paid directly to your university on your behalf once they have confirmed you have been in attendance for two weeks. The maximum available will be £5,500 per course; the amount you get per year depends on the length of your course

If you chose a lower amount of loan than what’s available, the remaining amount can’t be carried over to the following year.

Course length academic years Maximum Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan available per year
Year 1 Year 2 Year 3
1 £5,500
2 £2,750 £2,750
3 £1,833 £1,833 £1,834

A Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan is not based on your household income.

When your Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan will be paid

Your Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan will be paid to your university in three instalments per academic year. The following example is based on a 1 year course:

When the payment is made to your university How much Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan is paid
Term 1 £1,375 (25% of £5,500)
Term 2 £1,375 (25% of £5,500)
Term 3 £2,750 (50% of £5,500)

Disabled Students’ Allowances

You may be able to get Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) if you have a disability, including a long-term health condition, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty. DSAs are grants to help pay the essential extra costs you may have as a direct result of your disability.

The maximum DSAs available for postgraduate students is a single allowance of £10,469 per year. You don’t have to apply for a Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan to receive this additional support.

If you study part time, you must complete the course in no more than three times the full-time course equivalent.

Courses must be at least one year in length; however Postgraduate Certificates and Postgraduate Diplomas can be less than one year’s duration.

DSAs guide

For more information, download the Disabled Students’ Allowances guide:

You won’t be able to get a Maintenance Loan, a Maintenance Grant, or Dependants’ Grants, such as Adult Dependants’ Grant, Parents’ Learning Allowance and Childcare Grant.